Sunday, April 14, 2013

Spring Cleaning


            Spring is finally here; at least it is in my corner of the US, and with it, the need for spring-cleaning, and most of all the need to rearrange things in my car. I am, and I’m sure that I’m not alone, on the road way too often! My crossover style truck is packed with gear needed in case I need to walk home: some food that gets swapped out much more frequently, spare magazines for my .9mm just in case, towels, extra clothes, and a sleeping bag. This is obviously a short version of what is in there, but it’s a workable list.

            In preparing for the much warmer months ahead, I have included a bunch of different things done to summer-ize my mobile preps. I swapped my winter boots for a pair of broken in tennis shoes. In the event that I have to walk home, uncomfortable stiff new shoes will make the trek that much more miserable. Plus, I am more likely to walk during breaks in my day if I have a comfy pair of shoes in the truck; and who couldn’t use the exercise.

My clothing was checked to make sure it will work in higher heat and humidity; since I put in jeans and a T-shirt, I’m good to go. I did remove the winter jacket in favor of a lighter waterproof one since nothing sucks more than being wet. Remember that hypothermia is still a real possibility, even in the heat of summer, if you are wet and compromised in some way – no food, bleeding, etc. Also, opt for a waterproof jacket that breathes. Marmot has great gear that covers this requirement. It’s currently on my list of things to obtain someday. But I have borrowed and worn their jackets before. Sweat can escapes, and rain does not get in, and those two thing can save your life. Extra socks follows that same idea, I can’t see where having extra socks would ever be a bad thing. Look for synthetic materials that allow for fast wicking and evaporation. Having a minimum of two pairs will give you the freedom of wearing one while washing, or at least airing out the other pair.

I took out my stocking hat and added a baseball cap. I also made sure that I have bands to hold back my hair, and clips for my bangs. Obviously this is optional, but all bug-out equipment should be based on personal choices, right? Bug spray and sun screen are added to the car from the home stock; use the stuff with the closest expiration date to keep your stock rotation going. I add Benedryl to my bag as well since regular pollen allergies, and bees can be problems for some. I went through my BOB and pulled out any medications (what few I carry) that are expired, and am in the process of replacing them.

While you are going through your BOB (Bug-out-Bag), look at any knives you have and check for rust, and sharpness. Run through the rest of your gear to check for similar damage. Add more bandaids, continue to add to your stash of cash or silver, and make sure you have several working way to make fire. You can never have too much water with you, so add some to your car, and to your BOB.

Guess I still have some work to do, please write if you have anything to add, or any questions. Happy Prepping!

No comments:

Post a Comment