Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Doomsday Preppers on National Geographic

      The new season is currently on, and while I love watching the show, and gathering useful (or adaptable) ideas, I have to caution everyone on the necessity for personal security. OPSEC, or operational security, is the theory that only those people who need to know what is going on should know. In easier to understand terms, there are some things that your facebook friends and people at work really do not need to know about you. Believe me, I have problems closing my mouth at times, as much as the next person, thankfully I am a part of a local prepper group. Each person within our very informal group has a different set of skills, and there is a lot of overlap in what we can each do. This increases survivability odds and is just prudent planning. As and added bonus, we are able to talk to each other about prepping and our specific skills and we don't get the deer-in-headlights look.
 
     If you are considering prepping, or have already started, consider your own limitations as well as your strengths since it will be very difficult to survive alone. Even a localized natural disaster can be withstood easier if you have a few other people you know you can rely on. I am in a hurricane prone area, for example, and with the aid of my group I know I can evacuate inland while avoiding FEMA shelters.

    My skills include: emergency medicine, food preservation, basic wilderness survival, making sourdough bread, sewing, local edible plant knowledge, etc....

     What skills would you bring to a group in the event of a localized emergency or even a nationwide disaster?

No comments:

Post a Comment