Thursday, November 15, 2012

Tools of the Trade: the Basics on Firearms




     Most preppers understand that if things go sideways socially and civilization meets an ending, eventually someone will remember that you were the nut who stocked supplies for this occasion and they will try to take your preps from you. I have opinions on sharing and bartering that I will save for a later post, but at the very beginning of civil unrest I know I will have to defend my son, my home, and my own self from some potentially nasty characters. Adding the tools of defense is another point of prudent planning.


      Since last week, there has been a drastic upsurge in gun sales. I spoke with a friend of mine who owns a gun store last night about different types of firearms that are getting difficult to find. Finding an AR for sale is tough; AK’s are nearly impossible to locate on a store shelf. Back orders are piling up at distributors to the tune of more than a year wait for these types of weapons whose prices currently range $800 to $3000 for AR’s, and $400 to $2000 for AK’s. This range is, of course, dependent on the brand and quality of firearm you want.

    If you do not currently own a gun, the a Ruger 10/22 rifle is a very sensible weapon. They are fairly easy to find since they have been in productions for more than 40 years, which also makes it easy to find replacement parts. I live by the prepper rule of “Two is one, and one is none.” Which simply means that if you think you need something, get two of that item thus having a spare on hand if the first breaks; spare parts are always welcome. 

     A simple 12 gauge shotgun is also great for keeping your family fed and basic home protection. Those of us living in condos built with wood and sheetrock need to keep in mind that the only thing separating us from our neighbors is a 2x4 stud every 16 inches, two pieces of sheetrock and maybe some insulation. This is not very much when you are considering home safety. I shotgun pellet will not have the force to penetrate your intruder, the sheetrock and clear through to your neighbors condo. This is a good thing to keep in mind about this weapon style versus someone attempting to talk you into a rifle.

     For those who are new to prepping, there is a minimal list of guns you may want to consider:
  • ·      A shotgun preferably with a short barrel and screw in chokes
  • ·      A 22 rifle for small game
  •     An AR, AK, G3, FN, Mini-14 or similar for fighting back
  • ·      A pistol of some sort – 22 or larger
  • ·      And eventually consider a sniper rifle for hunting and offense – bolt action with a good scope

Again, this is simply a basic list from which to consider your own needs. As with any skill, regular practice should be done to gain skill, speed, and accuracy. Stock ammunition for the guns you have, and consider stocking some of the more common bullets as well for trade items once your own stockpile is complete.

     A word on pistols, men: as a woman, I appreciate your desire to buy your wife a handgun, but please let her pick it out. This should be a personal choice, and your gun needs to become an extension of your arm. For that to happen you would not want the gun to be too heavy, or to “kick” too badly. Women: shoot several types of guns – semiautomatics, revolvers, and even different calibers. Do not be talked into buying a gun if you are not comfortable with it. A .22 can be as effective as any .45 caliber if you place the shot well. This means lots, I repeat, LOTS of practice with any firearm you buy. Ammunition for a 22 is much cheaper than for a 45, and since it does not kick nearly as hard, you will be more willing to spend time in the range. I have a 9mm Glock 26 with a conversion kit; I am able to trade out the barrel making my gun a 22 for practice. Sure, I do lose some accuracy in my shooting spread, but I do not own this gun for competition. If you can find a gun similar to this with the conversion kit to a more manageable caliber, mores the better.

    Considering the size of a small pistol, a prudent prepper cannot deny that the ease of concealed carry is a bonus. My other pistol is the Ruger LCP .380; it’s very small and so it kicks pretty hard, but I can carry it in the pocket holster, an inside the waistband holster, or even a bra holster and no one suspects a thing. Again, women: carrying a small pistol could save your life at any time. I do recommend that every woman these days own, practice with, and carry a small handgun for personal safety.

     If you have been doing this prepper thing for a while, or just starting out, please consider this to be a basic reference for what you may need and why. I am not a gun expert, I do advocate gun safety at all times, and I suggest that you raise any gun related questions with a gun dealer. No offence to pawn shops that sell firearms, or friends who “read a lot about guns,” but I prefer information about the weapon I may have to trust my family’s lives with to come from an employee at a gun store. If all the shop has is guns, and gun related merchandise, you can be assured that they do not make a living selling anything but firearms.

      Best of luck, and happy prepping!


(Pictures are of my Arsenal AK-74; rounds for this beauty are 5.45 x 39.)

No comments:

Post a Comment